Tuesday, January 15, 2013

lost and found



Any object you have in your mind, however good, will be a barrier between you and the inmost Truth
~Meister Eckhart
  
My faith had been unwavering for over three years.  It was a faith without object, purpose or design that had erupted laughing at its own undisclosed secret, a word that finally sprang to my lips with nothing whatsoever to say.  

Still it oriented to the mystery of my own existence, a gentle “yes”, clear and present down to the depths of unknowing, from which it presumably came.

At first I celebrated it like a newborn baby, marveling at this wonder of wonders that had alit with such grace into my world.  But over time I learned that it did not depend on me for survival, and would just casually touch into it from time to time with a furtive glance from my heart’s eye.  

Then, one day, I lost it.  I panicked like a mother waking up in the middle of the night searching madly for her baby under the covers.  But it was gone.  I entered that space between two breaths where you momentarily cease knowing how to breathe.  And there I was, holding my faith as limp as a corpse in my arms.  I felt dizzy and confused.
  
Suddenly I saw myself.  And I looked every bit as silly as someone who'd been searching all over the room for the proverbial nose on her face and asking herself, perplexed, “Now where was it that I put it?” when it had never been apart from her in the first place.   

I started to laugh.   

I hadn’t lost my faith at all.  I’d lost my certainty in a brief disconnect with the object I’d mistaken it for.

2 comments:

  1. "I entered that space between two breaths where you momentarily cease knowing how to breathe."

    -splendidly humbling isn't it? So glad you have found your way again. When you are lost de novo(because once is never enough) , we are here to follow your bread crumb trail.
    Mmmm...cheese fondue...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lost my six foot Japanese rokkaku fighter kite. While flying in the park with string I knew was underweight, it snapped. Having anticipated this might happen I purposely held a low altitude figuring at worst case the kite will fall a few blocks away. Well it never fell but went up in the sky and east far out of sight in about 10 minutes as I watched in amazement never having considered an upward thermal current would get my kite. What I found was more space for the unknown, the unthinkable, the unknowable and seemingly impossible……………

    ReplyDelete